Ah, summer! — endless sunshine, beach getaways, and the radiant glow after styling your hair that envelops us all. As much as we adore this season, it’s important to remember that our hair faces significant challenges during this time. But this year, we refuse to turn a blind eye to the potential risks and harmful effects of the sun. Let’s not overlook what we’d rather avoid, shall we?
Summer and the Sun: Prevention is Key
We present to you our handy yet beautiful (after) summer hair guide. Consider this BRUSH BLOG your little booster shot—a reality check on the deceptive aspects of sun exposure on your hair:
- Dehydration and Sensitivity: The sun can strip moisture from our hair and scalp, leading to dryness, itching, and the risk of dry dandruff.
- Brittle, Porous Hair: The intense summer sun can make our hair more prone to breakage, leaving it brittle, porous, and with those pesky split ends.
- Fading Color: While the sun adds a certain radiance to our overall appearance, it can also dull the vibrancy of our hair color. We need to safeguard our color-treated locks and keep them looking fresh, cause you don’t want to disappoint your beloved colorist right? ;p
But here’s the thing: the sun is not the only culprit when it comes to summer hair woes. There are multiple aggressors we must consider:
- Sea Salt: Frolicking in the sea brings joy, but it also exposes our hair to saltwater, which can further dehydrate and damage our strands. Proper care is essential to counteract these effects.
- Pool Chlorine: Diving into the pool offers respite from the heat, but the chlorine in the water can wreak havoc on our hair. We must take precautionary measures to protect and restore our locks.
- Sand, Wind, and Friction: Outdoor activities and breezy beach days are delightful, but they subject our hair to sand particles, gusts of wind, and friction, leading to potential tangles and damage. Being mindful and proactive is key.
- Air Conditioner and Heating Devices: While we seek refuge in air-conditioned spaces or use heating tools to style our hair, they can further contribute to dryness and fragility.
Understanding how to minimize these effects is crucial for healthy hair. Fear not, dear friends, for our summer guide will equip you with the knowledge and strategies to combat these challenges head-on. Let the journey begin.
All chemical (also UV) and mechanical exposure can damage your hair and affect its coloring. Colored hair is already more sensitive because coloring has already changed the hair’s composition and natural protective layers. To restore it’s natural composition during and/or after summer we recommend to give your hair some well deserved attention.
Thus, summer can be a double-edged sword, but as you are aware of that now, there are some precautions you can take to protect your hair, like using good products.
In a bit we will share a few of our summer favourites to protect your hair. Luckily, these hairproducts from Kevin Murphy, dr. Barbara Sturm and Leaf & Flower can save the day. Besides, it’s best to schedule a hair fresh up before summer or right after at the beginning of the school year. This safeguards your hair in it’s healthiest condition and allows one of our BRUSH stylists to advice you with the best personal haircare.
BRUSH stylists carefully selected summer hair products:
Kevin Murphy everlasting color leave-in
Two new products:
dr. Barbara Sturm hydrating conditioner
Leaf and flower CBD Phyto-moleculair oil
Each product has a different texture and mode of application, so there is something for every taste. They all protect your hair from various summer agressors and especially UV damage. Let’s focus on each of them to help you choose the best product for you.
THE DR. BARBARA STURM HYDRATING CONDITIONER
The Shower essential
Dr. Sturm’s REPAIR HAIR MASK was formulated for intensive, targeted repair and care for dry or damaged hair. Cationic Hyaluronic Acid and organic Shea Butter provide long lasting softness, suppleness and shine making the hair instantly moisturized and manageable. Hemi-Squalane, a clean, plant-based substitute for silicones, prepares the hair for styling and a special complex of Algae and Lavender Extract calms and rebalances the scalp. Pro-Vitamin B5 smooths the hair’s outer layer without weighing it down and Sunflower Sprouts and Tara Extract protect against heat, impurities, UV stress and color fade. The result is visibly nourished, silky-glossy and healthy hair.
How to use: Massage into wet hair after shampooing, allowing 1-3 minutes for the ingredients to be absorbed. Rinse thoroughly.
What we love:
- The creamy skincare like texture
- Very nourishing
- 100% parfum free and allergy safe
- Restores UV stress
The Kevin Murphy everlasting color leave-in
Voor iedereen die voor een langere periode wilt genieten van de kleur met bescherming en verbeterde sterkte, glans en zachtheid.
How To Use: Spray it on wet hair, comb it through, and let it soak in or spray a little bit in your hands and distribute it evenly on dry hair before going out in the sun.
What we love:
- UV Protection
- Hydrateert en herstelt het haar
- Behoudt de levendigheid van de kleur
- Ontward en temt unruly hair
The Leaf and flower CBD Phyto-moleculair oil
The daily split ends hugger
L&F CBD Phyto-Molecular Oil is a non-greasy formula designed to optimize total hair and scalp vitality by leveraging a proprietary blend of breakthrough, plant-based cannabinoid extracts formulated to encourage both internal and external restoration of dry/damaged hair.
How to use: Apply a small amount to your hands, rub together and apply to damp or dry hair. – Add more if needed
What we love:
- Nourishes dry/damaged hair.
- Restores UV damage
- Non-greasy formula.
- Adds weightless shine to all hair types
As the sun sets on another delightful summer, we hope you are enjoyed another summerday. Your hair, tested by the elements, we hope emerged victorious with the right care as adviced by your BRUSH stylist: wide-brimmed hats and UV-blocking sprays for protection, strategic leave-in conditioners combating dryness, rinses before and after swims guarding against chemicals, and weekly deep conditioning for vital hydration.
Now, as most of our BRUSH BEAUTIES return home, it’s time to revitalize our hair for the upcoming seasons—trimming away split ends accrued, ushering in a new chapter of self-care.
Thank you for reading the first BRUSH BLOG! Your haircare dedication leads to not only a radiant summer but paves the way for luscious locks in the days to come.
*You’ll find the complete collection from dr. Barbara Sturm, Leaf and Flower and Kevin Murphy in our store. Feel free to visit our salon to ask one of our BRUSH experts to advice on your personal haircare routine.